First of all, you should know that you are not alone. As you, many couples go through the same and we are here to help you. Now, what should you do to have the child you want so much?
It is generally recommended to see a specialist after trying to conceive for a year, without any success. If the age of the mother is over 37, this period is reduced to 6 months.
During the first visit, the patient explains the problem to the specialist and, according to the medical assessment, the necessary tests for both members of the couple will be requested. These tests are key to determine where the alteration lies. The most important ones are the following:
- Semen analysis (for men). It provides information about the semen quality.
- Hormone analyses (normally for women, but sometimes necessary also for men). These tests check the ovary functional status.
- Vaginal ultrasound, to carry out the antral follicle count.
- Hysterosalpingography. It is an x-ray of the pelvic area to determine whether the fallopian tubes are obstructed.
- Karyotype (for both members of the couple). It will help us to rule out genetic diseases.
If you have already been tested, it is important that you show the results to the specialist who is treating you in order to avoid repeating them unnecessarily. There are other diagnostic tests that are not routinely carried out, but may be helpful in certain cases to make a proper diagnosis.
Once both members of the couples have been tested, the doctors and embryologists of our centre will be able to make a correct diagnosis and decide accordingly the most adequate treatment, because every case is different. More specifically, they will consider the infertility causes affecting the couple, together with the age and time you have been trying to conceive, in order to decide the treatment and help you in the most effective way.
Remember: getting in touch with us is the first step to make your dream come true!